Skip to Main Content
877.539.5366 No Fee Guarantee Unless We Win!
[blog_banner pa="Blog" bg_img="2253"]

Uninsured After a Car Accident: Know Your Rights and Risks

Car insurance is a significant expense, and in an era of rising living costs, many drivers seek ways to reduce their expenses. Unfortunately, some opt to stop paying their insurance premiums, leaving them uninsured when they find themselves in a collision.

Legal Requirements in California

In California, drivers are legally required to demonstrate proof of financial responsibility to register their vehicles. Typically, this means purchasing liability coverage, which comes into play when a driver is at fault for an accident. Failure to maintain insurance coverage can result in fines and other penalties. Even more concerning is the fact that you may not receive full compensation following an accident, as our car accident lawyer will explain below.

Understanding Comparative Fault and Compensation

Car accident victims face a multitude of out-of-pocket expenses related to their accidents, including:

  • Medical bills
  • Lost income
  • Damage to their vehicles and other property

Moreover, they endure pain and suffering, as well as the inconvenience that often accompanies bodily injuries. For instance, someone with a concussion might experience constant headaches and a reduced quality of life. These non-economic losses warrant financial compensation.

In California, a legal concept called “comparative negligence” can reduce the amount of money you receive in a personal injury claim. This means that if you were found to be partially at fault for the accident, your compensation will be reduced proportionately. For example, if you were deemed 40% at fault for the crash, you will only receive 60% of your damages. If your share of fault was 80%, you would only receive 20% of your damages.

Impact of Being Uninsured on Compensation

In 1996, California voters enacted what is commonly known as the state’s “no pay, no play” law. This law is in effect in only about 10 states across the United States.

Under the “no pay, no play” law, uninsured motorists face restrictions on the compensation they can receive, even when they are not at fault for the accident. Specifically, the law prohibits uninsured motorists from recovering compensation for non-economic losses such as pain and suffering or emotional distress.

The silver lining is that uninsured drivers can still seek compensation for economic losses like medical bills, property damage, lost income, and other financial expenses. However, they won’t receive any money for pain and suffering or other non-economic losses.

This law is strict and can significantly reduce the compensation awarded to many accident victims.

Calculating Your Potential Compensation

Let’s illustrate the impact of this law with an example. Suppose you were involved in a car accident resulting in a broken arm, whiplash, and pain. You were speeding at the time, which means you share some fault. However, the other driver was texting and driving, making them liable as well.

Your total losses, including medical bills, lost income, and car damage, amount to $50,000. You also endured significant pain. Let’s say you are found to be 30% at fault, and the other driver is 70% at fault. 

Since you are uninsured, you cannot recover any compensation for your pain and suffering. That portion equals $0. Now, let’s turn to your economic losses, which total $50,000. Due to your 30% share of fault, you can receive at most 70%, or $35,000, from the driver responsible for the collision.

If you had insurance coverage, you could potentially seek compensation for pain and suffering, which might total $40,000. You could receive 70% of that amount, or $28,000, with insurance coverage.

Seek Legal Guidance

Our car accident lawyer is available to answer any questions you may have. Importantly, uninsured motorists still have the option to seek compensation for certain losses. Contact us today to discuss your situation and explore your ability to file a claim. Your rights and potential compensation can vary based on the specific circumstances of your case, so it’s essential to consult with an experienced attorney.