Personal injury cases arise out of many different scenarios. In addition to things like car accidents, many people injure themselves when they are simply going about their daily activities and they encounter a dangerous condition caused by someone else’s negligence.
One of the most common types of personal injury cases in Los Angeles includes slip-and-fall cases, also known as premises liability lawsuits. Under the laws of California, a property owner is required to maintain their property so that a visitor, invitee, or customer is not unreasonably exposed to the risk of bodily injury or death on the property.
Slip and falls are a problem nationwide leading to serious injuries and even death. According to the National Safety Council, falls are a leading cause of unintentional injury across the country, causing nearly 9 million visits to the emergency room every year. For those ages 65 and older, the risk is actually four times higher for injuries in a slip-and-fall accident. Oaks Law Firm is a law firm dedicated to getting you the compensation you deserve if you are the victim of a slip-and-fall injury in Los Angeles.
What Can Cause a Slip–and–Fall Accident?
Slips and falls happen on a regular basis to unsuspecting pedestrians, shoppers, and house guests. Due to the temperate climate and abundance of outdoor activities in Los Angeles, many residents are often walking, jogging, playing sports, or swimming in outdoor areas that can be potentially hazardous.
In addition, many slip-and-fall accidents also happen indoors, where an unsuspecting shopper isn’t anticipating a dangerous condition and suffers severe injury as a result. Some of the common causes of slips and falls include:
- Slippery surfaces: Just as the name suggests, slips and falls occur when a person walks on a wet area, either caused by a spill, standing water, or improper cleanup. These slippery conditions can happen indoors, in a place such as a grocery store, or outdoors, often in areas near pools or other sources of water. Many stone surfaces can be extremely slippery.
- Defective shoes: shoes with an improper amount of traction or are a tripping hazard can cause serious fall accidents.
- Improperly lit parking lots.
- Broken stairs, steps, hand railings, ramps, and other outdoor and indoor walking surfaces. In addition, uneven sidewalks and paved walkways can also cause serious injury.
- Pulled-up carpeting or floorboards can pose a serious tripping hazard, whether they are in a commercial or residential space.
- In some rare cases, even though it is not a fall injury, victims can be injured by falling objects, lacerations from sharp metal or glass, or other dangerous conditions on someone else’s property.
The sad reality is that most slip-and-fall accidents are entirely preventable. Premise liability cases that arise from injuries in a preventable slip-and-fall accident could be linked to construction site accidents or trip and fall incidents spurred by unsafe conditions of the property. Property owners are responsible for preventing slip-and-fall injuries where possible, but also notifying patrons of potential slip and trip hazards.
If you find yourself needing to file a claim for a slip-and-fall accident due to someone else’s negligence, you will want to have an attorney that will walk you through the entire process. Oaks Law Firm is a Los Angeles-based lawyer that will help you every step of the way.
Several steps you should take
Know that your employer or the insurance carrier for the site where you fell likely has legal representation experienced in handling these kinds of cases.
You, too, need to be protected under the guidance of a knowledgeable Los Angeles personal injury attorney.
- Avoid making any specific or detailed statements regarding the fault of the accident
- Ensure that you obtain the names of managers and owners of the property
- Write up the names of any witnesses to the accident
- Take pictures of not only your injuries but the scene of the accident
- Keep any clothing, debris, or footwear you had on at the time of the accident
- Get medical attention and follow-up care as soon as possible
- Speak to your Los Angeles premise liability attorney before giving a statement to any insurance adjusters
Why You Need an Experienced Los Angeles Slip–and–Fall Lawyer
Even though the name “slip and fall” doesn’t make it seem as though the injuries to victims would be severe, Oaks Law Firm has seen catastrophic and even fatal injuries from these types of cases. When a person suffers a fall, they could experience broken bones, head, and facial injuries, or severe soft tissue injuries to the legs, arms, back, and neck.
In most of these cases, an insurance company such as a homeowner’s insurance or business insurance will be representing the owner of the property. Even if the owner of the property is apologetic and seems as though they want to help you, you have to remember that in the end, you will be up against an insurance company that will seek to minimize your claim at all costs.
If you were injured on someone else’s property, call our office to discuss filing a claim against the responsible property owner. We will handle the insurance company for you, and we won’t stop there. At Oaks Law Firm, we aren’t afraid to litigate on your behalf to get you compensation for your personal injuries.