Over 155,000 people live in Palmdale and almost 160,000 people call Lancaster home. As more and more people move to these two cities, auto accidents and pedestrian accidents seem to be on the rise. If you are in the unfortunate situation of being involved in a major accident or sustained serious injuries or lost a loved one in a car crash, the last thing you likely want to do is fight with the insurance company for the fair compensation you deserve for your car or your bodily injuries.
The insurance companies know this and so, they will contact you shortly after the crash and offer a quick low ball settlement. While it is tempting to accept the offer to get the whole ordeal over with, doing so will likely result in forfeiting your right to full damages. Oftentimes, individuals settle their claims for $1,000-3,000 when their claim is really worth north of $25,000 or much more, depending on your injuries and property damages.
Insurance companies will never make a fair settlement offer. A Palmdale Lancaster car accident attorney will negotiate on your behalf so you recover maximum compensation, and will guide you through the personal injury claim process, without any obligation by you to pay for the claim UNLESS and until your case settles. As such, there is no downside in having an experienced auto accident attorney represent you. Basically, if the attorney does not collect for you will not owe them a dime.
Laws that Govern Car Accidents In Palmdale Lancaster
In California, you must present property damage and/or a bodily injury claim, after a car accident, so that you are able to collect for your damages. IF the responsible party’s insurance does not offer what your claim is worth, then you must file a lawsuit to collect for your damages. You have a right to do this and you should not feel guilty for wanting to collect your damages.
The tort laws of the state will govern your car crash claim. There are three important items to be aware of when involved in a car crash or when dealing with an insurance company. If you do not know the law and make a mistake with your claim, it could bar you from claiming any compensation at all. Below are three important laws to be aware of:
- Insurance limits: Under California law, all motorists must carry a minimum amount of liability insurance. The minimum policy is $15,000 per individual and a total of $30,000 for each accident. This may NOT be all the insurance the other may have. These limits are not always enough to fully cover the cost of injuries. When that is the case, you can file a lawsuit against other negligent parties, to cover your damages and/or dig deeper to see if there are more policies to look into. Aside from the above, there may be ways of accessing more insurance policies for your case. This is why it is best to have an attorney handle the case for you.
- Comparative negligence: In some states, accident victims cannot recover compensation if it is found they contributed to the accident. In California, the opposite is true. California follows pure comparative fault laws, so even if you were 99 percent at fault for the crash, you can still claim one percent in damages.
- Statute of limitations: One of the most important laws to know about car accidents in Palmdale Lancaster is that you have only two years from the date of your accident to file a lawsuit to protect your rights and to seek compensation for your injuries. This is known as the statute of limitations and if you do not file your lawsuit before that time limit expires, you will likely be barred from recovering any damages at all.
The above are just a few of the most important laws that will govern your car accident claim or lawsuit. A Palmdale Lancaster car accident attorney can advise on the many laws and help you navigate the claims process without any hassle to you or without any out-of-pocket costs to you.
Common Car Accident Injuries
Visually minor car accidents are common in Palmdale Lancaster and so, many people are unaware of the catastrophic injuries a crash can cause even with a “minor” car crash. The most common injuries that form the basis of car accident claims are as follows:
- Concussions, Head injuries, and other traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Spinal cord injuries, including paralysis
- Back injuries
- Neck injuries, including whiplash
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Permanent disabilities
- Soft tissue injuries
- Bone fractures
The above injuries can be debilitating and extremely painful to recover from. A car accident claim can help you recover damages that will offset the financial burden of your injuries and help you recover for pain and suffering, current and future medical care, loss of income and loss of earning capacity, to name a few.
Compensation Available In A Car Accident Claim
No one can determine what your car accident claim is worth without first fully reviewing the facts of the case, knowing the extent of your injuries, the current and future medical costs… It is important to know that a Palmdale Lancaster car accident attorney can advise on the full damages available in your case, which may include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Accommodations for a temporary or permanent disability
- Past and future lost wages
- Repair or replacement of your vehicle
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional distress and mental anguish
- Loss of enjoyment of life
The above are very common types of damages, but your case may include other damages, as well. For example, if you suffered catastrophic injuries due to a drunk driver, you may be able to claim punitive damages. These damages are not meant to make you whole against after your accident but rather, they are intended to punish the negligent party and deter them from acting with gross recklessness in the future. Also, your spouse may be able to recover damages for injuries you sustained and your spouse or children may be able to recover damages if they witnessed the car crash.
Our Car Accident Attorney In Palmdale Lancaster Will Help You Claim Full Damages
You may be eligible to recover any damages through a car accident claim, but do not start the process on your own.
Our Palmdale Lancaster car accident attorney at Oaks Law Firm will guide you through the process, negotiate on your behalf, and ensure you obtain the maximum compensation you deserve with no out-of-pocket costs to you. Call us today at 877-539-5366 or fill out our online form to schedule a free case consultation. We are here for you and we listen.