Brain Injury Attorneys Representing Injured Plaintiffs in Palmdale Lancaster, California
Even in mild brain injury cases, the consequences can be long-lasting and debilitating. According to Brainline.org, approximately 2.8 million emergency department visits result from traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) every year, and brain trauma contributes to about 50,000 deaths annually. Every year, nearly 300,000 people are hospitalized with brain injuries, and nearly 330,000 kids require treatment in emergency rooms for brain injuries related to sports and recreational activities, as well as car crashes and falls. If you or someone you love sustained a brain injury and need assistance filing a claim, one of our Palmdale Lancaster brain injury attorneys can assist you.
Leading Causes Of Palmdale Lancaster Brain Injury Claims
Brain injuries have many different causes. The following are among the most common causes of traumatic brain injuries in the U.S. today:
- Falls, including slips and falls and falls from heights;
- Being struck by or against an object;
- Motor vehicle collisions; and
- Intentional self-harm, including from gunshot wounds.
Signs and Symptoms Of Palmdale Lancaster Brain Injuries
Signs and symptoms of a brain injury will vary depending upon the severity of the injury. When it comes to mild traumatic brain injuries, or concussions, the Mayo Clinic explains that common signs and symptoms include one or more of the following:
- Speech difficulties;
- Loss of balance;
- Blurred vision;
- Ringing in the ears, or tinnitus;
- Bad taste in the mouth;
- Difficulty smelling;
- Increased sensitivity to light;
- Increased sensitivity to sound;
- Brief loss of consciousness;
- Feeling dazed or disoriented;
- Difficulty remembering;
- Difficulty concentrating;
- Depression or anxiety; and/or
- Sleeping problems (including sleeping more or less than usual).
More severe brain injuries may have the symptoms associated with concussions that we cited above, in addition to more serious symptoms such as:
- Extended loss of consciousness that lasts anywhere from several minutes to several hours;
- Headache that is persistent or worsens;
- Dilation of one or both of the pupils in the eyes;
- Clear fluids draining from the nose;
- Clear fluids draining from the ears;
- Difficulty waking up;
- Numbness in the fingers or toes;
- Agitation and/or combativeness;
- Slurred speech; and/or
It is important to know that brain injuries also tend to have distinctive symptoms in young children, which may include, for example:
- Eating habit changes;
- Unexplained irritability;
- Persistent crying;
- Inability to pay attention;
- Problems sleeping;
- Unexplained drowsiness; and/or
- Loss of interest in activities or favorite toys.
What Are The Risk Factors For Brain Injuries In Palmdale Lancaster?
General risk factors for sustaining a serious TBI include but are not limited to:
- Being an older adult, especially aged 75 or older;
- Being at risk of falling due to age or health;
- Working in an industry where there is an increased risk of being struck by or against an object;
- Being at risk of a serious or fatal motor vehicle collision.
Yet even if you are at increased risk of a brain injury, you can still hold a negligent party accountable for causing an accident or injury.
How Much Time Do I Have To File A Palmdale Lancaster Brain Injury Lawsuit?
If you sustained a brain injury and want to file a personal injury lawsuit, you will likely have two years from the date of the brain injury under California law. If you lost a loved one due to a severe brain injury in an accident and need to file a wrongful death lawsuit, the statute of limitations is still two years, but the time window is different. In a wrongful death lawsuit, you will have two years from the date of the person’s death to file your claim.
How Do I Know If I Have A Valid Brain Injury Claim In Palmdale Lancaster?
It can be difficult to know with certainty whether or not you have a strong brain injury lawsuit until you have had your case assessed by an experienced Palmdale Lancaster brain injury lawyer. One of the personal injury attorneys at our firm can evaluate your case for you today.
Seek Advice From Our Palmdale Lancaster Brain Injury Attorneys
Anyone who has sustained a brain injury should seek advice as soon as possible from an aggressive brain injury attorney in Palmdale Lancaster. One of our experienced personal injury lawyers can evaluate your case to help you understand the merits of your claim, and we can explain who may be at fault for your losses. Many brain injury victims in California are able to obtain multiple forms of compensatory damages for their losses, including payments for economic losses like hospital bills and lost wages as well as compensation for non-economic damages like pain and suffering. Contact Oaks Law Firm to learn more about how we can assist you with your Palmdale Lancaster brain injury case.