Riding a bicycle to work, school and social activities are increasing in popularity in Los Angeles due to the health benefits to the rider and the reduced environmental impact. Accordingly, there are many more bicycles on the road than there used to be.
Unfortunately, some drivers do not operate their vehicle safely when sharing the road with a bicyclist which has resulted in more and more bicycle accidents each year. Injuries that occur when the victim is on a bicycle can be severe and life-threatening, and require an experienced attorney to handle their personal injury claim.
Bicycle Accident Statistics
According to the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration, in the year 2010, more than 600 cyclists were killed and more than 50,000 were injured in traffic collisions on America’s roadways. Many of these accidents were the result of negligence and could have been prevented.
California law dictates that cyclists have the same rights and duties as motor vehicles while traveling across the state. When you have a bicycle accident in Southern California you want to make sure you hire a lawyer that is familiar with all of the state laws and your rights to make sure you get the compensation you deserve in your personal injury case.
Despite these clear guidelines for cyclists and others who share the road with them, accidents can and do still happen, frequently leaving cyclists with devastating or fatal injuries. Being thrown from a bicycle into traffic can be catastrophic even when wearing the proper cycling gear. Many people enjoy the sunny weather and pleasant experience of riding a bike here in Los Angeles, but that can change rather quickly when a negligent car operator fails to proceed cautiously.
How Bicycle Accidents Happen in Los Angeles
Bicycle accidents often occur as a result of negligence. In cases where the negligence was on the part of someone other than the bicyclist, that bicyclist has a right to file a California personal injury claim against the negligent party. Some examples of negligence that can cause bicycle accidents to include:
- Failure to Yield: One of the common causes of accidents between a bicycle and a motor vehicle is when the motor vehicle fails to yield to a bicyclist. This happens most often in a situation where the bicyclist is going straight and the vehicle turns or pulls out into the bicycle’s lane.
- Vehicles in a Bicycle Lane: In some areas, there are marked bicycle lanes for riders to utilize on the road. In many situations, the driver will negligently drive in that lane, striking the bicyclist.
- Distracted Driving: Phone calls, texting, and other distractions on the road can often lead to a driver veering out of their lane of travel onto a sidewalk or into a bicycle lane. This negligent behavior can cause serious injuries to both pedestrians and bicyclists.
- Driving Under the Influence: It goes without saying, but driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol is negligent behavior that can cause serious injury to a bicyclist.
- Other Factors: Bicycle riders have many other considerations while operating that a motorist may not have to worry about. Pedestrians, other bicyclists, potholes, and poor road conditions can all cause serious accidents.
How Oaks Law Firm Can Help
When a bicyclist is in an accident, they often have more serious and life-threatening injuries than a person who is a passenger in a car. This is because their body is vulnerable to impact with a vehicle, and then with the ground when they are thrown from the bicycle. This can result in internal injuries, broken bones, serious lacerations, blood loss, and head injury.
These conditions are all life-threatening. A lot of additional medical care and adjusting to a new life post-injury can be difficult and can influence a cyclist’s life in a number of ways. Having represented numerous bicycle accident clients, we understand the implications of an accident.
Survivors of bicycle accidents often have a long road to recovery. This is why you need Oaks Law Firm. Our Los Angeles bicycle accident attorneys will work tirelessly to make sure you are compensated fairly for your serious injuries. Call our office today to speak with one of our attorneys about how we can help you with your bicycle accident case.
Contact an Experienced Los Angeles Bicycle Accident Attorney
As bicycle riders are becoming more common in Los Angeles and around the country, sadly many car operators are still not aware of how to share the road and ensure that everyone biking and driving has a safe experience. Bicycle accidents are no joking matter and Oaks Law Firm understands every aspect of the law and your rights, which means we will do everything within our power to assist with your injury case.
If you were injured while riding your bike in Los Angeles, call Oaks Law Firm today to schedule a consultation where we will review the circumstances of your bicycle accident and help you file a claim against the responsible parties.
We pursue every possible avenue of recovery for your case, including finding the best experts to back up your claim. We are also committed to using the most advanced and innovative technology for your case. Our exhaustive review of your case is designed to consider all aspects of your claim and prepare a thorough strategy for both settlement and trial purposes.