Brain Injury Lawyers
Bakersfield Brain Injury Lawyers
Accidents in California that result in traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) and other forms of head trauma can be debilitating and deadly. Many brain injuries happen because of another party’s negligence or intentional wrongdoing. If you recently sustained a brain injury and need help filing a claim against the at-fault party, one of our experienced Bakersfield brain injury lawyers is here to assist you.
What Is A Brain Injury In Bakersfield?
Brain injuries can vary widely in terms of type and severity.
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), a traumatic brain injury can result from a “bump, blow, or jolt to the head,” as well as from a “penetrating injury to the head” such as a gunshot wound.
Typically, TBIs are placed in one of three categories based on severity:
- Concussions, which are a form of mild traumatic brain injury;
- Moderate traumatic brain injury; and
- Severe traumatic brain injury.
While mild TBIs still require medical care, these injuries are not typically life-threatening for a person. At the same time, the CDC emphasizes that the effects of a concussion can be serious and can lead to temporary or permanent disability.
Both moderate and severe TBIs are much more serious and likely require immediate medical attention. Even moderate TBIs can often be life-threatening, and they frequently result in long-term and permanent health issues. Severe traumatic brain injuries are the most serious of all. They usually require hospitalization, and they can often be fatal.
Getting The Facts About Bakersfield Brain Injuries
What do you need to know about brain injuries in Bakersfield? The following are some key facts and figures from the CDC:
- Approximately 61,000 brain injury deaths occur in the U.S. each year, which equates to an average of 166 deaths because of TBIs every day;
- Brain injuries can have more long-term risks for certain injury victims, including those who are racial and ethnic minorities, those who experience homelessness, those who are service members, those in correctional or detention facilities, and those living in rural areas;
- Brain injuries occur most often as a result of falls, firearm injuries, motor vehicle collisions, and assaults;
- TBIs can produce more short-term and long-term health problems, and multiple concussions may be linked to degenerative brain disorders;
- Older adults are more likely than people in any other age group to die as a result of a brain injury; and
- Brain injuries can affect a child’s intellectual and social development.
Common Types Of Accidents In Bakersfield Involving Brain Injuries
Many different types of personal injury cases can involve brain injury claims, such as:
- Auto accident lawsuits;
- Truck accident claims;
- Motorcycle accident cases;
- Pedestrian accident lawsuits;
- Bus accident claims;
- Swimming pool accident lawsuits;
- Slip and fall cases, and other premises liability lawsuits; and
- Construction accident injury claims.
Filing A Lawsuit For A Brain Injury In Bakersfield, CA
In Bakersfield, many injury victims who sustain brain injuries are able to initiate a brain injury lawsuit with assistance from an experienced personal injury lawyer. One of our brain injury attorneys in Bakersfield can evaluate your case today and can speak with you about options for filing a claim.
Statute Of Limitations For A Bakersfield Brain Injury Claim
If another party is responsible for your brain injury and you want to file a lawsuit, you will need to do so before the statute of limitations runs out on your claim. Under California law, the statute of limitations for most brain injury lawsuits is 2 years from the date of the injury.
Accordingly, the clock on the statute of limitations will begin ticking on the date you suffered the injury, and you will be eligible to file a lawsuit for two years from that date.
However, once the clock stops ticking, you will have what is known as a time-barred claim under California law and will no longer be eligible to seek compensation by filing a civil lawsuit. As such, it is critical to begin working with a brain injury lawyer in Bakersfield as soon as possible.
Contact Our Bakersfield Brain Injury Attorneys Today
If you or someone you love sustained serious head trauma due to another party’s negligence or intentional wrongdoing, it is important to seek advice about your case from an experienced Bakersfield brain injury lawyer.
At Oaks Law Firm, we have years of experience representing plaintiffs in a wide variety of personal injury lawsuits involving brain trauma, and we are here to help you seek the financial compensation you need and deserve. Contact Oaks Law Firm today for more information about filing a brain injury lawsuit in California.
CALL TODAY! (877) 539-5366
Recovering the Damages You Deserve
If someone else is to blame for your injuries, you have the right to seek compensation for the full amount of damages you've suffered. These damages can include medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, as well as pain and suffering. You must bring forth your claim within one year of the accident date. Not filing your case within one year will bar you from recovery.
Tips For Driving In The Rain
Driving in conditions that involve strong or heavy wind and rain may not seem like the most pressing safety concern… Continue reading Tips For Driving In The Rain